Basic Camera Course
By Karina Beck
What to expect
Whether you're looking to learn how to use your camera as a hobby or to one day have a business of your own, this course serves as a comprehensive starting point to learn the basics. Filter out the noise and focus on what matters when picking up your camera. Distinguish between different cameras, decode lenses and what their numbers mean, and decide how to approach natural light situations.
This course will inspire practice to confidently shoot in manual and gives you the authority to command your camera what to do and how to manipulate the light in front of you.
My hope is that this course brings clarity to a new hobby or business venture; that this course sparks joy in learning something new. We all need a creative outlet, I'm so excited you're considering photography as yours.
What you will learn
- Distinguish between a point and shoot, DSLR, Crop sensor, full frame, and Mirrorless cameras
- Identify benefits and limitations for DSLR crop sensor, DSLR full frame, and Mirrorless cameras
- What camera should you grab for?
- Why are lenses important?
- Distinguish between types of lenses
- Suggestions for first lenses
- Decoding the lens numbers
- Let’s play a game! Can you guess the camera? Just how important are camera types and brands?
- Overview of camera settings and what settings I use
- What is a RAW image?
- Why shoot in RAW and not Jpeg
- Why and when to format a memory card
- Distinguish focus modes
- What is back button focus and why should you use it?
- What are the release modes?
- How to Wi-Fi connect your camera to your phone
- Distinguish white balance modes and identify which to use, when
- What is kelvin white balance and what settings do I use?
- What are the AF-area modes
- What is the secondary slot function and how should I utilize it?
- How is my camera manipulating light and how can I control that?
- Identifying the elements of the exposure triangle
- What is ISO? Identifying ISO settings and when to use them
- What is Aperture? Identifying aperture settings and how to use them
- What is Shutter? Identifying shutter settings and how to use them
- Identifying caution areas for ISO, aperture, and shutter
- How to prioritize what exposure triangle element is most important in a given situation and how to adjust the remaining settings accordingly
- Practice exercises identifying exposure triangle elements
- Identifying natural light sources and situations How to best utilize each natural light source Practice exercises for hands on learning
- My images with what settings I used
Theresa is the best!!! She breaks things down so simply, and helps your photos go not just to the next level, but to the top level! Cant recommend her enough!!
Absolutely loved this course and did a session just a few weeks later! I even reached out to AnneMarie afterward for some pointers on lighting. She messaged me back and answered all my questions! Highly recommend!!
This course is a MUST! It is tailored to all skill levels. Nicole is so detail oriented and makes it very easy to follow along. I highly recommend this course to everyone!
Gaahhh! Nicole's course is amazing! I am already a big fan of her other courses and also did a mentorship with her. I love that as she learns new techniques and improves her skills, she continues to share her knowledge with others. Her new painterly preset that comes with this course is amazing and has been a great base paired with her brushes for creamy beautiful skin tones. I can't recommend this course and others from Nicole enough! <3
I am just at the beginning of the course and already WOWED. The attention to detail, the step-by-step that lets me follow along, makes a world of a difference. I am learning so much about Lightroom already. Nicole is also just so soothing to listen to! I am such a fan girl, and can't get enough of her content. This course is a MUST <3
I LOVED this course! I am wanting to offer Fresh 48 sessions
This course was incredible!!! I loved that it offered practical tips for how to approach fresh 48 sessions as well as tangible examples of how AnnaMarie edits. The BTS videos were also super helpful in seeing how a successful session goes. Highly recommend!
This is a great course for those who are just starting out growing their business and may need guidance on how to connect with clients and design a basic questionnaire. Amber's work is gorgeous and the editing videos add some creative options for newer photographers. If you are a seasoned photographer, you would likely find this course a bit too basic for your needs. I would definitely recommend this for beginners.
Easy to read and oh so helpful. Erica sparked my creative side and helped me realize what I need to do and how to go about it. The Hustle has helped me with another business that is not photography. Sometimes you need to be pointed in the right direction and Erica does this very well.
This course was jam packed with such good information I put into practice immediately while reading through! The game changers for me were setting up my profile info which increased inquiries and better understanding my analytics! I have gone back to reference many times!
This is not my first Brianna course. I wondered if it was worth the time and money to purchase another of hers and HOLY COW YES! I basically will be throwing away all of my photos before this course. Okay, maybe not, but I will go back for re edits. I’ve had so many photos that felt like man this has so much potential but I can’t quite figure out what it’s missing. This course fills in those gaps. 10/10 recommend (and the Lightroom/photoshop presets and actions are just perfection!)
OMG THANK YOU!!! I've learned so much about spending up or cutting down my editing process. Everything was described and broken down so well, which made is so easy to follow. I've learned so much in this course and I can't thank you enough!!!
No Reviews Yet? Leave a Review!
- 100 page, detailed downloadable PDF
- Finding inspiration exercises on PDF
- 1 hour video, intro to LR to become familiar with LR layout, familiarization of the library / develop module, and export settings
- Welcome Video
- Let's Talk Cameras Video
- How did you do? Video
- Daily Photo Challenge Calendar (PSD FILE)
- Location Scouting PDF + Template
- Meet the Artist Live Session
- Starting as a hobby vs starting as a business
- Tools of the trade; what do you actually need to start? What is in my bag?
- Identifying obstacles to learning your camera and brainstorming how to overcome